Sunday, September 27, 2009

I Once Was Blind

As someone whose vision is crap and has been steadily decreasing since the age of 12, stories like this give me great hope for the future of medicine. There is lots of research into different methods of restoring sight to the blind, and it's all very meatpunk. From installing electrodes in the patient's eyes and linking them to a video processor, to using the patient's tooth to craft a plastic lens that replaces the cornea, the future is coming quicker than we all think. Maybe by the time my eyes have completely given up the ghost, I really will be able to pop in a few cybereyes and live my normal life uninterrupted. We might even have affordable healthcare by then.

No comments:

Tags

Chapters (17) Cyberpunk (26) GlobalPedia (10) Interviews (3) KCChapters (54) Meatpunk (4) News (76) Reviews (15) Tales (10)